Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Yesterday Rain No Its today's Rain!!!

I am too overwhelmed to write about yesterday's rain, actually not yesterday, today morning at 3AM!!.As usual,read about a cyclonic storm prediction in Chennai from our IMD,simply raised my eyebrows and gave a 'phew' look at it. Even I told myself that, I can also predict 'it may or may not rain' and the truth is whenever they predict about rains, it will definitely  not rain and when they stop doing so we will get rain. And I usually say, "aaana koduthalum aasha kodukkaruthu" (you give an elephant but dont give hope).

The previous day was different from other days.It was totally dark in the day time and it was getting more dark as time passed.At 4PM i felt that its going to be 7 PM. It was so beautiful to see the sky at that time, as if sky was predicting I am going to pour upon you !!!!. I gave a deep sigh, I know it is going to be drizzling only and I wont be able to see those rains which i enjoyed 10-15 yrs back. Unfortunately I have not seen any rain of those kinds in Kerala   nowadays. May be truth is there in  so called global warming, kyoto protocols etc copanhegan summit etc.With least expectations I engaged in my routine. Went out around 8 PM to see that rain has done its duty in Chennai by drizzling, even without making a noise. hmmm I just looked above and asked, Oh , you finished your work rt??? Dear Indra are you not kindful to us?Cant you see poor humans suffering under this heat?Back home, had dinner, just switched on TV, and saw Panchathanthram movie, a comedy one which i used to enjoy. But slept in between, and went to bed with all fans set at high speed.

I was sleeping so nicely and suddenly woke up with a shock after hearing a loud noise. I thought somebody had blasted a bomb. Just peeped out of the window and saw its raining :-) :-) though shocked, now delighted :-) But the thunder and lightning were scaring me. I witnessed those 'white nerves' running over the sky.Got up and ran to get a better glimpse and saw the most beautiful rain which i had not witnessed for the past few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it looked even more beautiful to see the water falling in an orderly fashion under the street light. Suddenly noticed a poor street dog trying hard to find a way to hide himself. Just  looked around to see whether there is anyone like me, who woke up at 3AM to enjoy rain... No nobody was there .. hehehehe..Just went on peeping through the window and suddenly Lord Indra ordered me, you girl go away and sleep by frightening me by his weapons of thunder and lightening. I ran to bed and tried to sleep by closing my eyes tightly not to see his war. I didnt know what to do. its going high.. Am scared of this sound and am sleeping near a window which is kept open. I remembered what we did during our childhood days. I started chanting Rama, Rama, Rama......Somebody Plz make me sleep, plz plz... Suddenly certain things came to my mind which we used to do at home when it rains. I ran to ensure that tv is switched off, plugged out the telephone connection, switched off fridge.Back to bed, glimpsing at the main switch board and asked myself, how come electricity is still here. He is the person who escapes first when he witness even cloud in the sky. Oh he might have fallen asleep. Not even a single second passed after that thought, the light in the board got off and i laughed at being made Mr Electricity wake up and escape.Water was pouring in through the window and noise of thunder was still scaring me. Suddenly Physics learning reminded me of many things.

1) I am sleeping near iron grills which i should not do
2) A tree is there near my room.( U shld not stand under a tree.while lightning) but i saw that some white thing was passing in b.w the branches. I really got scared and tried to close the window. My hands were trembling,fearing that touching the iron grill will giveme a shock. somehow managed to close the window, but couldnt bolt it due to fear :-( :-( . I started lying in opposite direction so as not to see any lightening through glass.Then i thought, oh god is glass a good conductor of electricity?? then i shld change the room and sit somewhere else. but i dont remember the conductivity of glass. Not even a 10th std textbook to check it out. No internet  accessnow. else i could have checked the measures to be taken during lightning. I cursed myself for forgetting those measures and what i learned in physics which i learned with passion.- Current Electricity. I thought whatever it is, Lord Rama will come to my help, since am chanting rama, rama..... Somehow managed to sleep...

After 1 Hr woke up hearing another loud noise. This time it was not Lord Indra, it was my windows, which i didnt bolt properly.So lazy to go and bolt, i didnt do. Thought anyway I am going to get up after an hr, why shld i break my nice sleep. Now that no need of a fan , It has become cool. Alarm rang at 630. So reluctant to get up from a nice sleep after a long time, but got up.Just looked at the switch board that was the 1st thing i did. and laughed at it, saying, I  know you will not come in near future. Ran out to see whether rain is still there, no its stopped. Hmmmm Couldnt witness it properly :-(  Opened the windows, wawwwwwww........... cool breeze is coming. To my surprise Mr electricity returned. I switched off the fan. Peeped out of the window to see whether it is flooded.No it was not...


Now that it started raining again. I am going to enjoy as Lord Indra went to sleep by stopping war :-) :-) Enjoy Maadi.........

3 comments:

sowpar said...

what would have happened if benjamin franklin had been afraid of lightning like you... poor man... we have electricity today because he flew kites in the rain :)

but dont worry,i dont think glass conducts electricity - or atleast to such an extent that you have to be afraid...

who gives the names to cyclones... i'm hoping for sneha and jyothika after laila...

Anonymous said...

Although I didnt know that the previous commentor had mentioned about actress names being used for cyclones, I think its a copy from my idea. What is he thinking? that I wont spot his plagiarism or what?

I remember the best rains too, which have now become distant memory. The best was in 1987. It always rains on diwali days. But they are seasonal and not cyclonic.

Cyclonic rains mean wonderful. Schools were also closed. To get an unexpected holiday from school meant more to me than passing maths exams.

Mother(like most mothers) made tasty food that we have now started calling junk food - and enjoyed them without the fear of obesity.

But despite all that, I remember my dad waking up at similar times (3 AMs) and clearing leaves/debris from drain traps in our terrace. Occasionally, I would get to do too. Drenching myself and trying to get cold/fever with the hope of a few more extended holidays. 1987 had some good like this and probably was the start of bads too.

Watching TV without the fear of looming deadlines, pay cheques, rising food, inflation & fuel

Life seemed like it had more water then than now, and literally.

And finally, to pass a remark on benjamin franklin's friend, he should know that even power cuts were not cursed.

*h*t - this was meant to be an anonymous comment. Why on earth would someone disallow anonymous comments? I even mentioned @sowpar as 'he' as I am not meant to know whether its a he or she ( truly anonymous)

Anonymous said...

Listening to AIR radio stations... Saroj Narayanswamy on weather...

Ongole, Vizag & Nagapattinam were synonymous with low pressure to the extent that if someone suffers from low pressure, then they can be called having Nagapattinam and if they have severe low pressure, then Ongole... but unlike Sabs, we can only get to see Ongole through radios.

But then, this article really reopened my memories by 20+ years.