Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A gentle act


Sometimes I like hanging out alone, walking and walking and watch out the happenings around me. I thought I would go today. I had to post a document also. Hence I went to the post office and  was busy buying the stamp and pasting it on the envelope. At that time a middle aged woman came and asked me, “amma , neenga busy ayirkkiya” ( Are you busy?) I told: ‘No’.  She then asked me “enda form konjam ezhuthi tharingla” (can you just fill this form for me?) and showed me an application form which was for sending a money order. I just looked at her and really felt pity  that in this fast running world where people are on the e-world, doing everything over internet, there are a few who even don’t know how to read or write.

 I took the form from her and went through it. Initially I didn’t understand what was that (which always happens to me) I was suddenly feeling that Oh God, I don’t know what to do. But, I just focused on it and found that it just needed to write the name and address of the remitter as well as the recipient and the amount. I sought the information from her and filled it.  Finally the signature of the remitter was needed. When that part came, I asked her to sign. (Guessing that even if people don’t know how to fill a form, they will know to put their signature). When I gave the form to her, she said “ prachna ella amma, nanga areyum emathathi panam edukkarathillaye. Panam anappa than poren” (There wont be any problem. We are not cheating anyone. We are just sending money). Still I was a bit reluctant to put somebody’s signature. I just thought for a sec, and decided, Ok Let me sign. Nothing big is going to happen if I sign. I finished it and gave her. She said thanks. Then she asked whether I can fill one more form. I said ok, give me and did that also for her. I just looked at her face when she said “Thank You”. I could feel that, that “Thank You” was really deep from heart, not in a casual way where we use the words-  Sorry and thank You a number of times. I really felt proud at that time for helping someone by giving what I have and what she didn’t have. I was happy for being educated and understood that education doesn’t mean merely gaining degrees and degrees, but it has some societal values too. And I was too happy for using it which I was experiencing for the first time in my life.

No comments: