Saturday, December 26, 2009

Movies I watched recently

Recently I got a chance to watch 2 Hindi movies which had the same hero in both of them. 1st movie happened by a mistake, in which I misunderstood that I was going to watch another movie whose trailer I saw a few days back, showed a comedy scene which was between the hero and a very famous heroine of  bollywood.  My concept about watching movies is that, it is only for entertainment. That is, a movie should take me a way from all the tensions and other thoughts for duration of the movie. I would never prefer to watch an art film (where I may have to break my head by thinking ‘Oh god why this guy is walking so long over the river side, smoking a ’beedi’ - a very common scene in Malayalam art movies) or a drama in which there is a triangle love story, the same soapy stuff which is a trend nowadays. Hence my preference is watching a full length comedy movie, at least 75% comedy, the rest a drama/ fight scene which I can tolerate.

So this time when I went for the 1st movie, I sat comfortably with the hope that I am going to get some stuff so that I can laugh and enjoy. The convincing thing was the name of the movie ie ‘Wake up Sid’ in which I expected a guy who is so lazy and undisciplined and who may end up in doing foolish things and who may go for all mischievous acts. When the movie started I was happy and things were going as I expected. And in between I was searching for the heroine. As I could not find her on the screen, I asked my husband, where is Katrina!!!!!! . He just looked at me and asked “what?” I replied “I saw the trailer in which Katrina elopes with Ranbir and when he meets his mother he would utter a funny dialogue. And I was expecting to see such situations in the movie”. He gave me a look and replied, “Sorry that scene is in another movie, not this one”. I started watching with my sunken heart. 

The movie was a bit serious one. Yet I liked it even though it was not of ‘my type’ movie. The interesting thing I noticed was that unlike the usual Hindi movies, it had a moral: and thanks a lot to the director, there was not the usual masala where there is the usual hero-heroine love story, a villain, some n number of dances and n number of fight scenes. And the great relieving factor was that female actors were not ‘deprived’ of clothes. The moral of the story was, as long as u are living inside a pool of money and luxuries, you  will never ever realize its value and you will learn that life is not a bed of roses, when you start becoming independent where you have to earn on your own, make decisions yourself etc.

Same thing happened with the movie ‘Rocket Singh – Sales Man of the Year’, where I assumed the movie will be a full time comedy and my assumptions were consolidated when I saw that the genre is “Comedy’. Here I was searching for the song “Pocket Mein Rocket Hein…”which actually gave me the impression that it will be a comedy movie. Like Katrina was missing in the previous movie, here the song was missing L L . But I was happy that the movie was good and the story is exactly what is happening in the life of sales persons. It was actually touching the heart. The interesting thing I noticed was, the standard of both the movies are better compared to the usual movies. At least we can be happy that there are directors who know to make good films too which have some moral. If the film industry tries to follow this, we can again see an era similar to Malayalam movies of 1980s-90s where there were the classic movies which really brought out the talents of ‘our heroes’ who are now unfortunately portrayed as heroes with supernatural powers.

No comments: